Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Teaching a Child

There are a lot of theories out there. There are many assessments, quizzes, assignments, and procedures. There are lots of things for a teacher to do.
But there are also the children, and they are what counts.
I have many mixed feelings when it comes to education. I love to teach. I put up with standardized testing (I know how valuable it is.). I get along with administration knowing they have tough jobs, and I work hard to reach each child as best as I know how. Many of these things change over time as does my feelings towards them. I am getting better at most of them, so I am happier every year as a teacher.
There is one thing that has been constant since the beginning of my teaching career. I love my students. There are some I love more after they leave my class for the year, but nevertheless, I can look at them and say how glad I am to know them. I wonder at times who has the best deal. Students are learning, but I am being loved by them...most days!
In interacting with our students there are a few principles that come to mind. The first two being patience and kindness. I have found that any child will open up to me as I am sincere in my kindness to them. Once I have their trust, I can really teach them some things. They listen like they care. They want to know the things I want to teach them. There is nothing better in teaching than being with students who reciprocate these feelings. It makes all the management, testing, grading, admonishing/correcting, discipline, and planning pay off.
Teachers need to not only be efficient and skilled, they need to care. Through that caring the miracles of education happen.
What is the point of my post? I guess it is to encourage all of us as educators to take a little more time to enjoy the little people around us. They aren't with us forever, they move on. We are obligated to make their time with us memorable and happy and while doing so, we are to teach and get that knowledge inside their heads so they will be the smartest kids we know!

3 comments:

  1. Jeff,
    What a beautiful post! You said "There is one thing that has been constant since the beginning of my teaching career. I love my students...patience and kindness. I have found that any child will open up to me as I am sincere in my kindness to them. Once I have their trust, I can really teach them some things. They listen like they care. They want to know the things I want to teach them. There is nothing better in teaching than being with students who reciprocate these feelings." That is so beautiful.

    There is an old addage that says, "Nobody cares how much you know until they know how much you care." In fact there is a researcher named Aspy who has done lots of research and found this to be true! One of his books is named, "Kids can't learn from people they don't like"

    Thank you for your post. It reminds me why I want to be here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a kick out of the part that you love your students, but some of them you love them more after they leave. It's amazing the impact we can have on these little guys and even more amazing what impact they can have on us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jean and Aaron,
    Thanks for your comments on my post. Nothing motivates me more in blogging than having somebody comment on it! Even if it is for an assignment! I appreciate the thought put into your responses.
    It really is amazing to me how attached I get to my students. I feel like while I have them they are my stewardship and I need to give my best to them. Hopefully I will make an academic difference, but more importantly I hope to be able to make a difference in their life. To be someone that they know cares for them. I must be attached because I get them showing up in my dreams all the time! I hope that's a good thing. Sometimes I dream about managing them. I must be concerned about that area!
    Jean, I am glad that my post reminds you why you are here. I need that reminder from time to time, especially around CRT time! I enjoy seeing the lights go on when they are learning and when they want to share an accomplishment or something they did with me.
    Another aspect of this is parents will really work with me if I am working with them. I had a parent (grandma, technically) come up to me yesterday at the gas station in Kanab and let me know how much her student missed me. How did I feel? I felt really good, it makes me think that maybe something I am doing is going to have a lasting impact on these kids. I am glad if they pass tests, but I am even happier if they make their lives better because of something I did.
    Anyway. Thanks for your comments, the more people say about these things the more I realize how important it is for a teacher to be more than just a knowledge giver, but an ethical example also.
    Anyway. Thanks.
    Jeff Corry

    ReplyDelete